The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New Board advice

Hey guys 

Considering buying a new board for the upcoming season so I have the option to alternate depending on the conditions, money isn’t an issue but don’t want to spend more then $600 and I like sales 

Currently have a Salomon Sight 153cm with Burton Cartels (2017)

I ride all mountain and am looking at doing more pow going forwards (would probably want to take the board to Japan) 

Have pretty much narrowed it down to a smokin superpark board but unsure if I should go the 152cm or 156cm (willing to hear advice on other boards as well)

I am 5’11” currently 75kg but I move between 68-78kg and have been as low as 63kg 

Probably leaning towards the 156cm board

Previous board I was riding was a 152cm Rome so have always ridden shorter boards 

I class myself as an upper beginner to intermediate rider 

thanks for any guidance

Hey @Shrike, welcome to BW!

If you’re generally between 68-78kg and want to take the board to Japan, I’d go for the 156 for sure!

The Superpark is a true twin park board, though. Doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking for?

rider26 - 26 April 2018 03:23 PM

Hey @Shrike, welcome to BW!

If you’re generally between 68-78kg and want to take the board to Japan, I’d go for the 156 for sure!

The Superpark is a true twin park board, though. Doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re looking for?

Hey

Would you say the Smokin KT22 would be a better option? Way to much choice arg

Also open to suggestions and recommendations, the board I currently have is a directional twin

Also after doing some reading into it I probably align more with free riding and powder end of all mountain and am less into tricks and riding park.

I dont mind riding switch (ambidextrous) and have had to force myself to pick a stance (Regular)

So conflicted confused

Hey @Shrike,

What size boots do you wear?

rider26 - 27 April 2018 07:17 PM

Hey @Shrike,

What size boots do you wear?

10.5 but prefer a regular width if I can get it haha

The KT-22 would be better suited to your riding style based on what you’ve told me, but the 156 has a 248mm waist. I’d probably go for something a bit wider. You don’t need to get a wide board by any means but I’d suggest 252mm or wider with 10.5 boots.

I would suggest looking at the Jones Explorer 156… I feel it would really suit your riding style and the waist width is spot on.

rider26 - 27 April 2018 08:42 PM

I would suggest looking at the Jones Explorer 156… I feel it would really suit your riding style and the waist width is spot on.

I think your right it seems to tick all the boxes smile

Based on that would you say that the below would also be in line?

Yes Standard 153

And do you think a Burton Malavita would go well with one of these or if I should go stiffer?

The YES Standard 153 was the other board I was thinking but I tried to give you more length with the Explorer 156, especially for Japan. I absolutely love the Standard—it’s pretty much my personal favourite board on the market, but the Explorer is more geared towards Japan pow. It’s more directional, more nose rocker than tail rocker, spoon nose and tail… all this means it will float better. The Standard is essentially a true twin that floats really well for its shape (due to CamRock profile and directional volume twin profiling). Both are great boards but you need to think about how it’s being used and which performance characteristics are most important to you. The Explorer also offers great value for money.

rider26 - 29 April 2018 10:43 AM

The YES Standard 153 was the other board I was thinking but I tried to give you more length with the Explorer 156, especially for Japan. I absolutely love the Standard—it’s pretty much my personal favourite board on the market, but the Explorer is more geared towards Japan pow. It’s more directional, more nose rocker than tail rocker, spoon nose and tail… all this means it will float better. The Standard is essentially a true twin that floats really well for its shape (due to CamRock profile and directional volume twin profiling). Both are great boards but you need to think about how it’s being used and which performance characteristics are most important to you. The Explorer also offers great value for money.

I think your right the Explorer will handle the Japan Pow better and also do well on anything else I throw at it.

The explorer is going for $700 from what I can find online and the cheapest I could find the Yes Standard is $680 hence why I was torn

Once you pointed me down the Explorer path I was looking at what other boards would be similar encase I couldn’t find the Explorer or there was a better option

All the reviews I’ve looked at say that both are great quiver of one boards

Just sent you a PM. ?